According to Microsoft, Windows Server 2003 is more scalable and delivers better performance than its predecessor, Windows 2000.
New and updated features of Win2k3 which has make it more realiable and powerful then its predecessor:
- Internet Information Services (IIS) v6.0 - A significantly improved version of IIS.
- Increased default security over previous versions, due to the built-in firewall and having most services disabled by default.
- Significant improvements to Message Queuing.
- Manage Your Server - a role management administrative tool that allows an administrator to choose what functionality the server should provide.
- Improvements to Active Directory, such as the ability to deactivate classes from the scheme, or to run multiple instances of the directory server (ADAM)
- Improvements to Group Policy handling and administration
- Provides a backup system to restore lost files
- Improved disk management, including the ability to back up from shadows of files, allowing the backup of open files.
- Improved scripting and command line tools, which are part of Microsoft's initiative to bring a complete command shell to the next version of Windows.
- Support for a hardware-based "watchdog timer", which can restart the server if the operating system does not respond within a certain amount of time.